Cheetah House is a non-profit, semi-residential social service organization that aims to support the cultivation of greater awareness and deeper intentionality in engagement with the world. In short, Cheetah House is a “Contemplative Think Tank” aimed at using first-person, contemplative methods to support and foster the vision and successful implementation of globally beneficial social activism.
Dr. Willoughby Britton interviews Leigh Brasington at the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies. They discuss jhana practice and some of the difficulties that can arise during meditation as well as how to deal with them skilfully.
We have added a new page of resources–Useful Books for Dark Night Yogis! First on the list:
(*new*) VARIOUS ONLINE ARTICLES & INTERVIEWS on difficult spiritual experiences
- Buddhist teacher Shinzen Young blogs about the Dark Night in response to a student’s question
- Artist, entrepeneur, and spiritual guide Ryan Oelke offers his thoughts on the Dark Night process
- Pioneering spiritual theorist Ken Wilber describes his perspective on the Dark Night in this Buddhist Geeks podcast
(*new*) VARIOUS PUBLICATIONS on difficult stages and adverse effects:
- Burmese meditation master Mahasi Sayadaw’s (1965) Progress of Inisght (download PDF here)
- Author and psychologist Daniel Goleman (1978-9) on “A Taxonomy of Meditation-Specific Altered States” (download PDF here)
- Meditation teacher Jack Kornfield’s (1979) landmark study on intensive Vipassana meditation experiences (download PDF here)
- Scholar Giuliano Giustarini on “The Role of Fear (Bhaya) in the Nikāyas and in the Abhidhamma” (download PDF here)
(*new*) Dr. DAVID TRELEAVEN investigates the relationship between meditation and trauma:
- Presenting his dissertation defense on the merits and shortcomings of meditation from the perspective of trauma therapy
- David is also taking clients experiencing difficulties along the contemplative path. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, all pages relating the Dark Night Project have been consolidated under “The Dark Night Project” header for easier navigation.